This is a colorful and satisfying grain salad brought to us by MILFy Sarah Loring of Connecticut. Her food has a certain graceful quality. This is wonderful and refreshing served on fresh lettuce leaves and goes with just about everything.
- 11⁄2 cups spelt, soaked and drained
- 4 cups spring water
- Sea salt
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1⁄4 head red cabbage, diced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon shoyu
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pinch of freshly ground white pepper
- Place the spelt in a saucepan with the water and a pinch of sea salt. Bring to a boil, reduce
- the heat to low, cover, and cook for 1 hour. Pour into a colander, draining any remaining liquid,
- and set aside to cool.
- Put the diced vegetables in a large bowl. Add the parsley, shoyu, vinegar, olive oil, and
- white pepper, and mix. Toss with the cooled spelt. Taste and adjust the seasonings if necessary.
- If you let the salad sit for an hour or more before serving, the flavor deepens and becomes more complex.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 20 mins